A year ago I was certain 2016 was going to be the best year of my life. “This is our year”, I kept telling B. We were expecting our baby girl, our difficult road to getting her here had ended, I was entering my thirties, and beginning an exciting new chapter in life. Everything seemed quite perfect.
I’m not going to tell you that 2016 was the best year of my life. In contrast, it was the hardest year of my life- without question. But in the hardest year of my existence, I had the most beautiful moments. The best, most cherished moments I have ever experienced.
I am welcoming 2017 with arms wide open. I am ready for more beautiful experiences, opportunities for learning & growth, and am crossing my fingers that MAYBE we will get just a tiny bit of “the calm after the storm” ;).
I am making 2017 a year for personal development. A year to reach for my greatest potential & to stretch beyond the limits I so often set upon myself. I will not let myself be held back by fear or lack of confidence as I have so many times in the past. I am feeling ready to take on the world- with B and Indy at my side.
I have never been big on “New Year’s Resolutions”, because I feel like we should be making goals and resolutions all year! But to have it all in one place and share it with you (so I keep myself more accountable), here are my goals for 2017.
- Confidence. In myself, in my capabilities, in my purpose, in Indy, and in Indy’s purpose. Confidence that I have all the tools and opportunities I need to reach my full potential, and go for it!
- Self-love. I’m spending a lot of time trying to get the world to accept Indy for her uniqueness and special qualities, but sometimes I don’t even accept myself for my unique traits and qualities. The image of perfection that is portrayed to us in the world is far from reach & unrealistic. I know that, but still I am very hard on myself. Becoming a mother has given me more confidence & self-esteem than I’ve ever had, but I still have a lot of love and acceptance I need to give to myself. Working really hard to love my unique characteristics and celebrate being different. Starting with a love for my million freckles and moles ;).
- Learning. I want to learn and do it all. This year I am focusing on:
- Learning to be the best mom I can be to my Indy Llew
- Expanding my practice and knowledge in foot & face ZoneBalance
- Learning the in’s & out’s of social networking
- Practicing and improving in my new photography hobby
- Fitness. This has never been a resolution for me because I have always worked out, consistently since I was 15. Until this year. I began exercising when I was 4 weeks post-partum because I felt great, but when Indy was 3 months old my body completely crashed. I had a hard time getting out of bed for an entire week. It was scary, but luckily I knew what it was [Adrenal Exhaustion] and knew how to treat it. My body needed rest so I stopped exercising. I am rested up and SO excited to get back into my fitness routine! It will include resistance & cardio circuits on the ‘Sweat with Kayla’ program, yoga, and lots of Strollerblading ;).
- Spirituality. This one is ALWAYS on my list of goals… my daily and life-long goals. My relationship with God is the most important thing in my life. I am always striving to improve that relationship by leaning on Him, learning of Him, and following Him. I want to know the ways of Jesus & His life here on earth so that I can become a kinder, better version of me. So… #scripturestudy #everyday #Icandoit.
I am excited for this New Year. For the opportunity to etch our story in the tiny space we occupy in the world. I am looking forward to my own personal growth and the growth of my little family, together. This time next year I will have had my Indy babe for 19 months. I can only begin to imagine the change she will have wrought in me by then. 2017, here we come!